CLASSIC BOAT FESTIVAL
When: Friday September 1st
Time: 7:30 pm
Where: Inner Harbour (meet at Information Center)
Photo sharing and refreshments at Milestones
When: Saturday September 9th
Time: 10:00 am
Where: Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary 3873 Swan lake Rd. (meet in parking lot)
Lunch and Photo sharing at Brown’s Social House 109-3680 Uptown Blvd.
A SCENIC PARK
When: Wednesday September 27th
Time: 10:00 am
Where: Gorge Kinsmen Park (meet in parking lot off Tillicum Rd.
Lunch and photo sharing at Gorge Pointe Pub 1075 Tillicum Rd
We discuss how to effectively and safely use digital technology (smartphones, digital cameras, tablets and computers, except Apple products) to those 55 and older who join our club.
Our 150 members can attend any of several sessions per month, held at Silver Threads Passmore Center, kitty corner to Tillicum Mall, south-east corner (click for map). Scroll down for more articles.
To attend Computer Club events you must be a member of the Victoria Computer Club. Join us. New Computer Club members get their first month’s computer club membership for free – attend your favourite club course or try them all. (Silver Threads drop-in fees still apply.)
Memberships are $25 per person. Memberships last 365 days from the anniversary of joining, (395 days the first year.)
FREE 2017 SUMMER VIRTUAL TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE (VTC)
Saturday, August 19
10:00 – 1:00 PT
Join the photo group with your digital camera or smart phone. There are 4 photoshoots planned for August 2nd, 23rd, 26th and 27th, plus at the picnic Continue reading
Do you want your grandchild to learn:
- Logical reasoning
- Algorithmic thinking
- Pattern recognition
The goal of Pi Camp, taught by instructors from Victoria PiMakers, is to help teens learn about computers, to help them participate in shaping a digital world. It is a great introductory course for kids who are interested in computers. The Raspberry Pi is a low-cost computer, adopted by an eager community of hackers and makers. It powers projects around the world and in space. Since 2012, more than 11 million have been sold. Continue reading
Click to read
Click the picture on the left to open Rick’s updated presentation on Computer Maintenance
The Victoria Computer Club moved to Silver Threads, 286 Hampton Rd, on May 15th 2017. Because of the new lower club membership fees ($25 per year), regular memberships have been extended based on the remaining equity in the membership. New membership expiry dates have been entered into the club database. New club membership cards will be available in a week or two.
Because fees for Associate members remain unchanged at $25, their membership expiry dates have not changed.
Here is how the extension for each member was calculated:
- Equity_value = (Old_membership_expiry_date minus Date_of_move) / 365 * $85
- Equity_days (at $25 per year) = Equity_value / $25 * 365
- New expiry = Date_of_move plus Equity_days.
Silver Threads charges drop-in fees for most programs.
- Monday and Thursday Shared Interest Groups and Monthly Presentations are $1.60 for Silver Threads members and $4.75 for non-members (GST included). Punch cards are also available.
- Tuesday and Friday Tutorial and Social sessions have no drop-in fee
- Silver Threads membership runs from April 1 – March 31 with quarterly prorated rates. Consult with Silver Threads staff regarding membership, fees and other Silver Threads programs available at both of their centres.
The Victoria Computer Club has moved to Silver Threads, 286 Hampton Road. Activities are:
- – Seniors SIG Monday 10am to noon
- – Tutorials Tuesday 10am to 2pm
- – All other SIGs Thursdays, 10am to noon, starting in June
- – Tutorials Friday noon to 3pm
Please bring your laptops as there are a limited number (5) of club desktop computers.