Rich McCue, gave an excellent presentation to VCC members April 25th, courtesy of the UVIC Speakers Bureau. Here are the links.
Smartphones & Tablets: Educational Distractions or Bicycles for Our Minds?
The short answer is YES! Yes, smartphones and tablets can be a huge distraction if unskilfully used, and yes, they can be wonderful learning tools, or bicycles for our minds if used skillfully.
- Presentation slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/16iiRq1Di-iW1xjfxbwRdug_cMAFVELer9MUZ_5YVbss/
- Free UVic Libraries self-directed technology workshops: https://lib.uvic.ca/curric
- Fusion360 3D design video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3qGQ2utl2A
- Make Anything course (for UVic students only, but you could follow along at home): https://makeanything.opened.ca/
- Rich’s Blog: https://richmccue.com
Rich McCue, MA, BComm
Manager, Libraries Digital Scholarship Commons
Sessional Instructor, Faculty of Education
University of Victoria